Southern Suburbs Orchid Society, (SSOS) holds regular monthly meetings which includes guest speakers who discuss various topics relating to orchids and orchid culture.
- To open the SSOS meeting schedule for 2018 we are proud to announce that our first speaker for the year is Geoff Bailey who will focus on “Growing for Show”, where he will explore how species plants are found in the wild and how they are then line-bred to develop show quality plants.
- Geoff will also outline some of the plant names to look for when buying plants and how they will look.
- He also hopes to bring along some plants for sale; so members will have a chance to add to their collection.
Geoff is also a well-known grower of cymbidiums and other mixed orchid genera. He is a member of the OSCOV Judging Panel and serves on the OSCOV Executive and Show committees, as well as The Cymbidium Society of Victoria (COSV) committee. He is the director of The Melbourne Cymbidium Orchid Festival held in September each year.
- In March 2017, Geoff was Velardi Memorial speaker at the 42nd Annual International Orchid Society Cymbidium Congress in the US, hosted by the Cymbidium Society of America.
- Geoff has many years of experience in the orchid industry. He is the recently retired publisher and editor of The Australian Cymbidium Scene magazine in Melbourne, Australia. Geoff will provide us with an update within the cymbidium and orchid scene in Melbourne.
Event details: When: Wednesday 7th February, 2019 – 8.00 p.m. start
Where: N.G.Wishart Senior Citizens Hall, 964 Nepean Hwy, Moorabbin. (Melways Ref. Map 77: D6)Tea, coffee and light refreshments are included. Feel free to ‘bring a plate’.
- This session is suitable for all orchid lovers and growers, from beginners through to experienced growers.
Early session: This is run by our erstwhile Show Marshal Bob Harrison. Bring along your questions and/or problem plants. This session will start at 7:30 p.m.
- For regular members – Don’t forget to bring along your Cymbidium seedling for the monthly recall of Sarc. Elise ‘Babylon’ x Fitzhart ‘Sunset’ and Cymbid. erythraeum
Visitors and interested guests are always welcome, so remember to bring a friend – bring many!
Southern Suburbs Orchid Society: Website | About Us | Contact Us | Facebook |Twitter
“Where Friends Meet”