Our guest speaker for the Southern Suburbs Orchid Society (SSOS) June 2018 meeting is Michael Coker, who is the current President of the Orchid Societies Council of Victoria (OSCOV) and the North East Melbourne Orchid Society (NEMOS). In 2014 he was the recipient of the Gerald McCraith Award, Victorian Species of the Year, sponsored by Orchid Species Society of Victoria (OSSV) for his Habenaria medusa ‘Gem’ (HCC/CBM).
- Michael Coker will talk about ‘Growing a mixed collection from cool to hot growing orchid varieties’ and provide some insight into different ways of growing them in our cooler south-eastern climate.
- He has an impressive collection of orchids spanning over 160 genera from paphiopedilums, terrestrials and other genera grown in pots or on boards and mounts.
On Friday 16 February 2018 at 6:30 pm, ABC Gardening Australia broadcast an enchanting episode entitled My Garden Path: The Cokers which featured both Michael and his father Julian Coker, who explained why they are so passionate about orchids. (Run time: 07:31 mins).
- Don’t miss this important presentation at SSOS. You will be surprised with how much you do not know about orchids and orchid culture.
When: Wednesday 6th June, 2018 – 8.00 p.m. start
Where: N.G.Wishart Senior Citizens Hall, 964 Nepean Hwy, Moorabbin. (Melways Ref. Map 77: D6)
Tea, coffee and light refreshments are included. Feel free to ‘bring a plate’.
- This session is suitable for all orchid lovers and growers, from beginners through to experienced growers.
Early session: This is run by our erstwhile Show Marshal Bob Harrison. Bring along your questions and/or problem plants. This session will start at 7:30 p.m.
- For regular members – Don’t forget to bring along your seedlings for the monthly recall Sarc. Elise ‘Babylon’ x Fitzhart ‘Sunset’ and Cymbid. erythraeum
Visitors and interested guests are always welcome, so remember to bring a friend – bring many!
“Where Friends Meet”