Four Easy Ways to Prevent Orchid Pests and Disease
- Always use sterilized tools whenever working with orchids – especially when you are cutting roots, leaves, and/or stems. Intense heat (like the flame from a lighter) or a diluted solution of bleach can be used to sterilize your tools.
- Always water your plants early in the day to allow for all water to dry before cooler night-time temperatures. Use cotton swabs to remove excess water that gets stuck in all the little nooks of your plant.
- Never over-crowd your orchids. Make sure that they have adequate air circulation around them. A fan can be used to replicate the gentle breeze that orchids enjoy in their natural outdoor environment.
- Always repot your orchids in NEW potting matter, use NEW (or sterilized) pots.
For further tips and ideas, on pest control for your orchids, why not come along to our next Monthly Meeting (and Christmas dinner) or visit us at our first meeting for 2019:
Next meeting | Wednesday 6th February, 2019 for 8.00 pm (Early session 7.30 pm)
- Venue: N.G. Wishart Senior Citizens Hall, 964 Nepean Highway, Moorabbin
“Where Friends Meet”