Please Note:Southern Suburbs Orchid Society (SSOS) is pleased to announce that we have been able to return to monthly meetings at the N.G. Wishart Hall, Moorabbin. SSOS members were allowed to bring their flowering orchids for judging. Hence, we have a return of what the judges and what the members thought was the best plant on the night. SSOS Committee has also decided to continue the monthly members Virtual Voting competition. This enables members to show their flowering plants at their best, or unable to bring along to a meeting, such as too big, attached to trees, flowering display period is too narrow (i.e. Stanhopeas) or members who are not able to attend the monthly meeting.
The rules for this competition remain the same:
- Each member is eligible to submit up to 5 currently-flowering plants for the specified time period and members can vote for the flowering orchid they like; similar to the in-house popular vote contest, but does not include the formal official Judges vote.
- Members place one vote for their favourite in each of the three member categories OPEN, INTERMEDIATE and NOVICE.
- The monthly virtual voting competition is located in the Members Only section of our website.
2022 Results are:
Novice Section: Cymbidium Foxfire Mini Lyric [Grower: S Hill]
Intermediate Section: Dendrobium Tathra ‘White Glow’ AM/AOC x Brimbank Gold ‘Joey’, [Grower: M Caruana] and
Cymbidium Dural Snow ‘Purity’ [Grower: C Scerri]
Novice Section: Cymbidium Strathdon ‘Cooksbridge Fantasy’ [Grower: J Derham]
Intermediate Section: Masdevallia Ada’s Delight ‘Kelly’ x Funky Leopard ‘Beenak’ [Grower: M Caruana] and
Open Section: Blc Hawaiian Wedding Song ‘Virgin’ x Blc Good News No.1 [Grower: E Kelly]
Novice Section: Coelogyne mossiae [Grower: V Hayes]
Intermediate Section: Masdevallia Dazzler ‘Ruth’ [Grower: S Craven] and
Open Section: A two-way tie between Cattleya Dal’s Tradition ‘Wow’ and Paphiopedilum Gold Dollar both grown by C Trainor.
Open Section: Cymbidium erythrostylum x self [Grower: T Liston]
Intermediate Section: Laelia Blue Anceps venchiana [Grower: J Summers] and
a two-way tie in Novice between Cymbidium Winter Wonder x Lerwick and Cattleya intermedia [Grower: A Randle]
Open Section: Cattleya Elizabeth Calov #1 [Grower: C Trainor]
Intermediate Section: Cattleya Rlc Golden Kaleidoscope x Rlc Brunswick Gem Coral [Grower: J Summers] and
a two-way tie in Novice between Coelogyne Colmanii [Grower: M fraraccio] and Miltonia bluntii [Grower: A Randle]
- Open Section: Paphiopedilum dianthum (‘P&R’ x Mostachio Pete) – [Grower: C Trainor]
- Intermediate Section: Masdevallia ‘Dazzler Ruth’ [Grower: S Craven]
But, it was a four-way tie for Novice Section entries.
- Dendrobium speciosum alba [Grower: A Randle]
- Cattleya Hawaiian Wedding Song ‘Virgin’ [Grower: M Fraraccio]
- Beallara Memoria ‘Donald Yamada’ [Grower: J Derham]
- Rossioglossum Grande ‘Kings Park’ x ‘Leanne’ [Grower: J Derham]
Novice Section: Stanhopea tigrina [Grower:A Randle]
Intermediate Section: Burrageara ‘Nelly Isler’ [Grower: S Craven]
Open Section: Cattleya Jungle Bean ‘Velvet Lip’ [Grower: C Trainor]
Members virtual vote winners:
Novice Section: Vanda Pakchoing blue [Grower: V Hayes]
Intermediate Section: Miltoniopsis Breathless ‘Brilliant’ [Grower: S Craven]
Open Section: SLc Jewel Box ‘Dark Waters’ [Grower: E Kelly]
“Where Friends Meet”